6 SHOWS ABOUT MAGIC TO BINGE WATCH

by - April 19, 2020

    From time to time, I find myself reaching for magic content and I really mean white magic, witches, plants, nature, whatever that is that can inspire a little bit in magic in me and definitely THIS is one of those times where I need desperately some magical content. 


    It’s usually easier to find magical movies, in fact, Disney has a pretty big reserve of them (The Chronicles of Narnia being my absolute favorite!), but when it comes to shows with real people in it, I have to say that it’s pretty difficult to find really good shows about magic that aren’t scary and can actually include magic as special effects. That’s why I created my list of 5 shows that I’ve watched that I think are full of magic or magical creatures and if you’re like me and you like magic, then you will really enjoy these shows. 





SHOWS ABOUT MAGIC YOU CAN STREAM ON NETFLIX

THE WITCHER – 

People went nuts about this show back in December, and after reading about it so much on twitter I’ve decided to binge. Henry Cavill plays our favorite monster hunter character: Geralt de Rivia. I must admit that I could hear Henry Cavil’s character saying “Jaskier” my whole life, but that’s another topic.


    This show is more about magical creatures than it is about magic itself but still fulfill my need for magical content. The Witcher tells the journey of a monster hunter who needs to *obviously* hunt monsters in order to get paid, eat and basically live. People pay him to exterminate what they call “plagues” but it’s never that simple. What I liked about this show is that our main character is SO serious but has to face pretty ridiculous situations which are always something so funny to watch. I loved it, but without a doubt, my favorite character has to be Yennefer, the witch. I think she’s the one who has the best development in the first season and her makeup is always perfect.

LUNA NERA – 


    I finished watching the first season of this show in just one day! It’s a show about witches and how they were haunted by men because back in the day they used to blame witches (or ehm... women basically) for everything that happened without a clear cause such as diseases. Therefore, women needed to hide from them. It’s an Italian show and I was pretty surprised to find that the show is created, written and directed by women, which really explains why details are so on point. 


    While they don’t really do that much magic on the show, because it's more about romance and what I like to call “psychological manipulation”, it has pretty decent scenes of women doing magic. What I loved the most about this show is, first of all, the hair of the witches. The hairstyles were all super big and braided like Celtics and were oh, so nice to see and I noticed as well that makeup on this show is minimum, they rarely have any makeup on, which I think was refreshing to see. The plot was great and I passed from "Oh, I stan that man so much" to "I f****** hate him" in 6 episodes, and also, the plot twist at the end of the season really got me. It was soo good! 


THE SHANNARA CHRONICLES – 


    Again, this is a show more about magical creatures than magic itself but it’s still pretty good at least the first season. This show is about an elfic princess that goes through a journey to save her people, and along in the journey, she finds a nice pair of friends. My favorite part of this show is the costume design, it’s SO good! Makeup is good as well, but definitely, costume design wins here for me. I think that from the list, this is my least favorite show, especially after season 1 when things just started to kind of flop. 


THE CHILLING ADVENTURES OF SABRINA – 

    While the shows on this list are more about white magic this one is pretty dark! If you’re easily scared about demons I’d say you can skip this one, but if you’re good at watching that kind of stuff, then go ahead. This show is great! 

    Our main character is a half-witch and in this show, they make emphasis that witches need to sign a pact with Satan in order to get their powers, but turns out that our Sabrina isn’t a full blood witch, she’s a human witch, therefore she can choose if she wants to be a full witch or a human on her 16th birthday. Expect to see magical enchantments, magical creatures, demons, a lot of deaths (this show is on the same storyline as Riverdale) and other cool stuff. The way they portrayed everything about dark magic wasn’t scary at all, to me at least. Even when Satan makes its appearance on the show wasn't as scary as I was expecting. One of my favorite characters is a woman that you will see a lot on the show but it’s not until the very end that you’ll find out who she really is. 


OTHER SHOWS ABOUT MAGIC ON OTHER PLATFORMS 


THE MAGICIANS – 

    This is a more quirky, nerdy and funny show about magic. It’s about a group of teenagers-adults in our age, that find that they can make magic and they are called “magicians” and they go to this "magic university". I think this show is funny because sometimes they will get into extremely ridiculous situations, drugs and sex involved as well, as they learn how to use their magic. I really enjoyed this show but it’s more fun than other things and yes, you can see them throwing spells and making magic with their hands and stuff, and you can also see magical creatures as well. You can stream this show on Syfy. 


THE SECRET CIRCLE – 


    My absolute favorite show about magic! The CW network created this show based on the books from L.J. Smith, but they canceled it after just the first season. The show is about Cassie, a teenage girl who was forced to live with her grandmother after a terrible accident, and she discovers that has magical powers, but not only that, but she also discovers that there’s a group of other teenagers in the same town that can make magic too. Some of them have their “family diaries” which help them to discover and explore magic on their own, without their parents noticing. There’s a big secret that parents of the town are hiding and the kids will find out what happened and why they no longer have powers. 

    I think I’ve watched the first and only season like 7 times. It’s so good! I am still so sad that no network picked this one up because it's so good! Everything about this show was magical and no other show could ever compare to it. You can watch it on Amazon or if you’re in the US in the CW Seed app. 


If you have more recommendations about any magical show that I need to watch, please leave them in the comments! I’m always looking for something new to watch! 





You May Also Like

0 Comments