Things I Learnt During my First Year as a Young Mom | Motherhood

by - January 29, 2018

Last December baby O turned one year old and that was a very big moment for us as a family, also was the first time ever that I had to plan a small (not really) family reunion to celebrate him, because I believe everyone deserves to be celebrated on the day that their souls decides to finally make an appearance into this world.


One year old is a big achievement not only for the baby itself, but for us, the parents that have been there all the way. Here I'm sharing the lessons I've learnt during my first year of motherhood:


1. THEY ARE TINY FOR A SHORT TIME

TRUST ME!! I feel like time is passing by way more quickly than used to be, so treasure those moments and be present for them, because in the blink of an eye, they'll be running around playing with their toys and they won't need you as they used to be when they were newborns.


2. YOU DON'T NEED EVERY SINGLE THING THAT PEOPLE ADVISE YOU TO BUY

In fact, you can bring a baby into this world with minimal things. That's what we did. When little O. was born we didn't had too much stuff and a lot of them were borrowed which makes me happy because that means less clutter because you can return the stuff when we don't need it anymore.

3.PARENTING HAS MANY WAYS AND EVERYBODY DOES IT DIFFERENT

I choose to be free with my child. I let him explore, touch stuff, I let him be barefoot while we are in the house. I let him play with grass. I. Let. Him. Be. They are babies that need exploring to understand the world, that's how I see it, so I'm not really too concerned to let him be, even though people sometimes will make comments, that's how I choose parenting him.

4. BREASTFEED IS A MAGICAL SUPERPOWER FOR A LIMITED PERIOD OF TIME

Seriously. Breastfeed milk has to be the best vitamin supplement for the baby. Is antibacterial, helps with the immunologic system, can help with stuffed nose, eye boogers, ear pain, cuts, for rashes, diaper rashes and even as a face wash!!! It's a magic liquid that resembles gold in white liquid form, and I'm still treasuring it as long as he wants to. People keeps telling me that he's to big to still be breastfeeding (He's only 1 year old) and I'm like "nope he's having his breast milk up until he wants to". His body and my body wikk tell us when its time to stop.

5. PEOPLE WILL ALWAYS COMMENT

Usually, people will comment about everything: the way you're raising your baby, what they eat, the milestone that they should have completed by now, their weight, their looks, their health. EVERY LITTLE THING. I choose to ignore most of these comments because they cause me anxiety. As long as my pediatrician says I'm doing a decent job and my baby is happy and healthy, then I'm doing a good job.

6. BABIES NEED TIME TO ADJUST TO REAL FOOD

Even though breast milk is the best thing ever, its important that babies learn to eat their food (I waited 'til baby O was 6 months old to introduce him to food and have 0 regrets) and this, my friends, is a long and frustrating time. But it's important and rewarding with time. Little O started to eat decent amount of food with the baby led weaning method around 10 months old. Before that, he barely ate anything. Going out with him made me feel anxious and frustrated because he didn't ate well and people made comments about it, but now he eats really good and anything that I put in front of him so I feel like my hard work finally played off.


7. SLEEPING WITH YOUR BABY IS THE BEST THING EVER

Whether you choose to co-sleep with your baby or having him on a crib in your room or in another room, take your time to treasure your baby during their naps. Seriously, the calm and peace that they share while they are sleeping is the best thing to ease stress.

8. LET YOUR BABY BE AND DON'T COMPARE

Every baby in the world is different. They have a series of milestone to reach every month but that doesn't mean that they 'HAVE' to reach it. Don't be so hard with them or with yourself, they are babies after all... Let them eat when they are ready, let them walk when they feel ready to, let them speak when they feel like they need to.


9. DON'T BE SO HARD ON YOURSELF

Parenting IS A HARD JOB where you need all the patience that you could possibly can have inside your body. Stop listening comments that don't add anything positive into your life or your babys life. Seriously, make a filter inside your brain to choose the actual useful comments and stick with them whenever they are necessary, but toss them if you need to.

10. CLOTH DIAPER IS A SCIENCE THAT YOU ONLY NEED TO MASTER ONCE

My first three months of cloth diapering were hell: leaks everywhere and I was confused for so long... But after I actually understood the principles for cloth diapers I never had problems again. Also, the amount of money that I've saved have been incredible.

11. BABIES GET OVERWHELMED WITH TOO MANY OPTIONS

This last year I read a lot about the gentle parenting and the Montessory philosophy and I think that they fit perfectly with my life style. Also, I want to be more and more minimalist with what I need in my life, so I choose to have fewer toys for him. I still haven't mastered this part, but definitely working on it.

12. DO WHATEVER THAT WORKS BEST FOR YOU AND YOUR BABY

This is the best advice that I've repeated for myself in this past year. Whether is pureed food or baby led weaning, whether is co-sleeping or having him sleep in another room, whether is let him watch TV or not. Do whatever keeps you and your baby sane. All babies are different and what may have worked with your friend's son may not work with you and your baby. Be patient and find something that will suit you both.


Bonus: FIND TIME TO TREAT YOURSELF

With whatever makes you happy: chocolate, makeup, a hairdresser appointment, get your nails done, eat a dessert, cooking, watching a movie or maybe just sleeping, ask for help to take care of yourself. Trust me, when you re balanced and in control of your emotions, your baby will sync with you energy and all will flow with harmony.

+

I've learnt a lot of more things but I feel that these are the lessons that I kept repeating to myself this past year. What are yours?

You May Also Like

0 Comments